Thursday 22 May 2014

Election Day

Really busy three days out on the streets of Westhoughton, helped by my wife Nilda, delivering about 4,000 leaflets and speaking to many people. It's the part of the campaign that I really enjoy, meeting and sharing a few minutes with the voters.

I've had a very positive reaction by and large. Important for me to get my name and face known on the ward; and find out what is on people's minds. It really is a thrill to hear the words: "You've got my vote," or "I'm going to vote for you."

One sour moment in the run up to the election involving a Labour Councillor and a bit of cheap politics which I will have to deal with separately. Other than that I saw a few of the other candidates out and about and it was all very amicable. Got a mention and quote in a Bolton News article on Wednesday; it talked about me getting 11% of the vote last time round. Obviously, a good result is improving on that.

News has broke of a big development being muted on land at Lee Hall. It is something both councillors and community will need to come together for to oppose. From what I've seen it looks massive and could have a big impact on Westhoughton. Don't think the town can cope with any more mass developments.

A little later I'm off to the count. I will collect my thoughts and I will write a little more about the experience and the outcome.

Cllr Jack Speight

No comments:

Post a Comment