Friday 25 April 2014

My First Election Win

My first introduction to standing for election was as a student studying for my degree in Complementary Medicine at the University of Salford. Being a student representative at Wigan and Leigh College and later at University of Salford, it seemed a natural step for me to stand, and I was happy to be elected as a Delegate for Nation Union of Students representing the University of Salford at National Congress Level. The most dominant issue of the day was Tuition Fees!

Leaving university, I was asked by people who must have seen something in me to stand in my local Parish Council elections for the Chequerbent Ward (Westhoughton) where I have lived some 25 years. Not being political, nor linked to any party, my sole conviction was motivated by what was in the best interest of the residents and my community – as an Independent. Having experienced my first local elections (I came third, though enough people did vote for an Independent to give me some encouragement), I felt more confident, having learned, that the candidate who did get elected never once took his seat in office – an insult and betrayal to all those who had voted. This demonstrated once again that the main political parties only seem interested in their own politics and being in power, rather than actual local issues and concerns.

Having expressing my concerns, I felt no option but to call a by-election. I was ridiculed by all parties that standing as an Independent I would only come last. Nevertheless I felt immense encouragement having spoken to the late Councillor Brian Claire, who was himself an Independent, and was four times appointed Westhoughton Town Council Mayor; he told me to embrace the mantel of “The Westhoughton Spirit of Independence and Identity,” and represent our town and vote on issues that benefit the good people of Westhoughton.

With this endorsement, spurred on to carry our unique independent identity and represent our town, I decided to take on, what I realised would indeed be an enormous challenge… I knew I could never compete with the financial backing of the main parties, nor their party machine and number of canvassers. Nonetheless, my wife and I endeavoured to reach out to as many of you as possible to put your interests and concerns paramount in addressing issues in our community. Using my spare time and my holidays from work I took every opportunity to speak to as many of you I could reach. I can only say a huge thank you for sharing your time with me during our conversations.

Voting having closed the evening of the by-election (26th July, 2012), with our Member of Parliament, Julie Hilling, looking on, I watched the votes being counted at St. Thomas School, Chequerbent, Westhoughton. When the votes were finally counted and checked, it was announced that you had elected once again an Independent Councillor to Westhoughton Town Council – I had achieved a phenomenal 42.2% of the vote. I must admit I felt great emotion, from a sense of relief and to that of immense satisfaction in connecting with people. I always knew from your responses and encouragement when speaking to you on the doorstep, that we are a proud town, and that concerns and issues that affect our community needed to be addressed, putting Westhoughton first. This undertaking I have embraced and at all times put the interests of our ward and the Westhoughton to the fore – an independent voice working hard for you.

Being the only Independent Councillor in the Bolton Borough can be tough; at times lonely furrow… some frustrations, some battles won… and you get to know who your friends are and what self-aggrandising cliques exist...  Nevertheless, I would encourage others, dissatisfied with the current party offerings, to consider both supporting, and even rising to the challenge of being an Independent Councillor. It is quite a journey – though not one for the fainthearted!

Taking the lead from previous Independent Councillors, I am standing for election to Bolton Council in the Westhoughton North and Chew Moor ward on the 22 May 2014. With your support, if elected, I would become the first Independent Councillor on Bolton Council, which would be another great achievement for our town. More so, it would send a clear message that you want something different. And that issues of under-investment and respect rather than condescending parochialism from Bolton need to be addressed. These are the first steps of real change and real independence.

Electing an Independent Councillor who is answerable to you and not the political party machine… it does happen, and with your help and support it can happen again on May 22nd.

Cllr. Jack Speight

No comments:

Post a Comment